06 August 2006

Homemade Tomato Soup

Homemade Tomato Soup

The original recipe called for chicken broth. But since it was a kosher cookbook, it called for using non-dairy creamer. Since I work for a dairy company, Land O'Lakes, using non-dairy creamer is a travesty. So I switched it around. My adaptation calls for using instant mock chicken broth and milk. My adaptation also is half the original quantity.

In a soup pot, heat:
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon olive oil

Add:
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
¼ teaspoon thyme
¼ teaspoon dried basil
¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Cook until the onion wilts.

Add:
2 tablespoons flour
Blend well.

Add:
3-4 medium size canned tomatoes with their liquid
Simmer for 10 minutes.

Add:
2 cups broth (I use vegetarian, mock chicken instant soup mix)
Simmer for 10 minutes. Then transfer to a blender or use a hand blender and puree the soup. Return to soup pot.

Add:
¾ cup milk
Heat gently to desired temperature (don’t boil) and serve.

In our home, fresh soup is a Sunday noon meal with fresh-baked bread and slices of cheese.

No comments:

My Birthday Dinner No. 4 - Terzo Minneapolis

 My extended birthday celebrations came to a glorious end in mid-December, nearly a month after my actual birth date. (That was Thanksgiving...