30 June 2012

Farewell lunch at Sea Change, Minneapolis

I wasn’t going to blog about this lunch. I’ve posted several items about Sea Change. It’s one of my favorite restaurants in the Twin Cities. But the desserts that we had at the end of this particular lunch were so noteworthy that I decided to write a post anyway.

So here’s the back story. I invited a co-worker out to lunch as a farewell gesture, since she’s leaving Land O’Lakes. I picked Sea Change. After I made the reservation, I realized that she’s not a big fan of fish and seafood. I asked her if I should pick a different place, but she said that she’d looked at the menu online and it would be fine. SeaChange

Like I said, I wasn’t really expecting this lunch to be much different than other lunches I’ve had there. The truth is, I was a little disappointed by the menu. The offerings on the menu all looked good. But there just wasn’t much of a variety to choose from.

She had a cobb salad. I had a fish sandwich. She really like her salad, and it looked good. I thought my fish sandwich was very good as well. The fish had a light batter. It was very flavorful and the fish was moist and flakey. It was served on a brioche-style bun. It had some very good fries on the plate. They were thin and very crisp.

Since we were celebrating, we decided to have dessert. For me, the desserts were what kept this from being a rather ordinary lunch to being one that was memorable.

Jeanne’s dessert was a lime pudding cake. It was so light and refreshing! On the plate with it was nice, dense pistachio cake that I thought was fabulous. (She let me have a taste.) She also had a generous scoop of sorbet on the plate.

My dessert was a frozen passion fruit soufflé. The soufflé was not a very prominent component of the dessert. It was sort of hidden by three or four large cubes of angel food cake. The most prominent item on the plate were two nice scoops of hibiscus granata. It was so delightful and refreshing to take a small spoonful of granata with the cake. Yum! Along with all of that were four hazelnut crisps.

I hope Sea Change is doing all right. When we arrived promptly at noon, there was only one other diner in the room. By the time we left, there were no more than a dozen tables taken. Maybe it’s just not a popular lunch place. But it remains one of my favorite Twin Cities restaurants, and I’d be sad if its business is sagging.

No comments:

My Birthday Dinner No. 4 - Terzo Minneapolis

 My extended birthday celebrations came to a glorious end in mid-December, nearly a month after my actual birth date. (That was Thanksgiving...