13 September 2007

Lentil & Black Bean Ragout

I used to make this recipe very regularly when my children were experimenting with being vegetarian. It's very tasty and very easy to prepare. I always go through the exercise of soaking dried beans and cooking them. But if you want to simplify and streamline preparation of this dish, then you could use canned black beans.


I've always made this dish with red lentils. As I prepare it for posting on Krik's Picks, I'm a little surprised to see that it doesn't specify red lentils. The red lentils add a vibrant color to the dish. If you used green lentils, I think it would be quite drab. When I prepared this on my daughter's wedding weekend, I garnished it with minced parsley and chive blossoms.

Lentil & Black Bean Ragout

Recipe By : Good Housekeeping, July 1993
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :1:00
Categories : Beans

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 large carrot -- diced
1 small onion -- diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup lentils
2 teaspoons chicken bouillon
2 cups black beans, cooked
1 1/2 cups water

Dice carrots and onion and saute until tender. Stir in lentils, vegetable broth, and water. Heat to boiling, cover, and simmer 25-30 minutes. Mix black beans with lentils and heat through.

No comments:

My Birthday Dinner No. 4 - Terzo Minneapolis

 My extended birthday celebrations came to a glorious end in mid-December, nearly a month after my actual birth date. (That was Thanksgiving...