31 October 2007

A really entertaining food video clip

I figure that if a video clip makes me laugh out loud (LOL), it deserves a post on Krik’s Picks.

I’ve written before how the New York Times Dining & Wine section online is one of my favorites. I consider it a weekly ‘must read.’ And I’ve also written about the videos posted by Mark Bittman who writes a column called the Minimalist. Bittman has a video in this week’s edition. And it was entertaining. But the one that I really enjoyed was ‘Grillades & Grits’ a recipe by John Besh from New Orleans.

The video takes about 8 minutes, so click on it when you’ve got enough time to watch it. But there are two parts of it that I really enjoyed.

First, while he’s making the grits, he talks about adding first butter and then mascarpone cheese. He tells the viewer, in his laid-back, Louisiana accent, that ‘this looks like a lot of butter,’ and if you don’t want it, just don’t add it. Then he says, with a sly grin, “But it sure is good.”

I’ve never been a big fan of grits. But I had so much fun watching him make them in this video, I might give them another try.

The second part that made me laugh was when he’s cooking the grillades. He explained earlier that grillades are thin, little slices of pork. He then casually tells the viewer, “If you don’t eat pork, then use veal. And if you don’t eat veal, then use beef.” Then he pauses for a moment as if considering just how far he can take this, and he says, “If you don’t eat pork or veal or beef, well I feel sorry for you. You don’t know what you’re missing.”

I do like New Orleans, and I haven’t been there since Hurricane Katrina. This sure made me want to go.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

No comments:

My Birthday Dinner No. 4 - Terzo Minneapolis

 My extended birthday celebrations came to a glorious end in mid-December, nearly a month after my actual birth date. (That was Thanksgiving...