20 June 2011

Return visit to Siroc, DC

I’ve had a lot of travel during the first couple weeks of June. Good for experiences to report on Krik’s Picks. Bad for having time to actually write anything. So be patient. There’s some good stuff coming.

But here’s a quick review of Siroc in Washington, DC. I was here a year ago with a large group. We had a fantastic experience, andSiroc2011 I swore I’d be back. (Click here for last year’s review.)

The second visit was as impressive as the first time. Same cordial, accommodating service. Really excellent food and wine. Comfortable ambiance.

As I reread my review from last year, I didn’t write very much about the actual food we ate. Last year, I (and several others) had the ossobuco. I love ossobuco. I thought about ordering it again. It was fantastic. But, I decided I had to try something different. So I ordered agnolotti filled with braised short rib and roasted potato. The fork-tender meat was shredded and stuffed into a beautiful pasta moon. For my starter, I had a frisee salad with shaved fennel. The salad has dollops of goat cheese and tiny pieces of chopped pistachios. The dressing was a basil-grapefruit vinaigrette. Excellent.

Siroc has a nice variety of pastas on its menu. They offer half orders as a ‘secondi’ or you can order two half-orders if you want a variety of pasta. One of our group on this visit chose to do that. The other diner had one of the evening specials, a beautifully prepared serving of black bass.

So it was a wonderful return visit that confirmed my view that this is one of the best Italian restaurants in DC.

No comments:

My Birthday Dinner No. 4 - Terzo Minneapolis

 My extended birthday celebrations came to a glorious end in mid-December, nearly a month after my actual birth date. (That was Thanksgiving...