07 February 2015

Meritage lunch = Wonderful mid-day treat!

In my recent post about Brasserie Zentral, I noted how different a restaurant can be at lunch vs. dinner, and I used Zentral’s sister restaurant in St. Paul, Meritage, as an example. Sadly, since I retired, I don’t eat lunch in St. Paul very much any more. But in early February, I was at the State Capitol until about 1 p.m., and decided to have lunch at Meritage.

Ah, it was sublime!IMG_1065

By the time I arrived, it was almost 1:30, and there weren’t many customers left. So I was offered a really prime table. That was nice. My server was friendly (as always) and relaxed (sometimes, during a busy day, the servers can be harried). She brought me a complimentary amuse bouche – a duck liver schmear. Yum.

I ordered chicken for lunch. The plate featured crisp roasted, boneless chicken thighs on a bed of spinach and roasted potatoes. I don’t often order chicken at restaurants. But for my last lunch at Zentral, I had chicken, and again at Meritage. It was very good.

Normally I forego dessert at lunch. But I had some time to kill, so I decided to go ahead an have dessert. Wow! Am I glad I did. It was a ‘financier’ cake with orange curd and a mocha cream. I loved it.

No comments:

My Birthday Dinner No. 4 - Terzo Minneapolis

 My extended birthday celebrations came to a glorious end in mid-December, nearly a month after my actual birth date. (That was Thanksgiving...