08 March 2009

Recipe: Chocolate Pistachio Biscotti

Technically, I’ve already broken one of my New Year’s resolutions. In January, I resolved to run at least one recipe per month on Krik’s Picks. Well, I only posted three items in February, and none of them were recipes. (Note that I’ve been doing pretty well on my other resolution, to eat more slowly.)

My lapse in February notwithstanding, I intend to fulfill the spirit of the resolution and get back on track by posting two recipes in March.

The recipe in this post is my wife’s second favorite biscotti. Most of the time, when I make biscotti for her, the recipe features slivered almonds and candied orange peel. This weekend, however, when I asked what kind she wanted me to make, she asked for the chocolate pistachio recipe below.

I got this recipe from the Food Network web site, which says the recipe is from Gourmet magazine. I have made two modifications. The original recipe calls for hazelnuts, not pistachios. I made the recipe once with hazelnuts, and it was good. But I really love using shelled, unsalted pistachios, which I buy in bulk at an imported food store in south Minneapolis. And I like the color contrast of the green pistachios with the dark, chocolate biscotti. Also, the original recipe calls for dusting the tops of the cookie logs with powdered sugar before the first baking. You can do that, if you want. I just don’t bother.

So here’s the recipe. Give it a try and let me know how you like them.

Chocolate Pistachio Biscotti

Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup raw, unsalted pistachios, coarsely chopped
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar (optional)


Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and butter and flour a large baking sheet. (I use a silpat baking sheet, as you can see in the photo.)

In a bowl whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl with an electric mixer beat together butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat until combined well. Stir in flour mixture to form a stiff dough. Stir in pistachios and chocolate chips.

On prepared baking sheet with floured hands form dough into two slightly flattened logs, each 12 inches long and 2 inches wide, and sprinkle with confectioners' sugar (if desired). Bake logs 35 minutes, or until slightly firm to the touch. Cool biscotti on baking sheet 5 minutes.

On a cutting board cut biscotti diagonally into 3/4-inch slices. Arrange biscotti, cut sides down, on baking sheet and bake until crisp, about 10 minutes. (Note that I arrange them standing up on my baking stone. I find that they get crisper this way.) Cool biscotti on a rack. Biscotti keep in airtight containers 1 week and, frozen, 1 month.

No comments:

My Birthday Dinner No. 4 - Terzo Minneapolis

 My extended birthday celebrations came to a glorious end in mid-December, nearly a month after my actual birth date. (That was Thanksgiving...