23 May 2009

Dinner at Montmartre, Washington, DC


I just got back from another trip to Washington. From a business standpoint, it was very successful. From a personal standpoint, it was fantastic. I stayed at one of my favorite hotels right on Capitol Hill. The weather was stunningly beautiful – warm days, low humidity, cool nights, crystal clear skies. It was like, how could anyone be unhappy with weather like that?

On my last evening, I went to a couple of political receptions. I had planned to pick up enough to eat at the receptions and not go to a restaurant at all. But the food was not good at the first one (Chinese buffet) and by the time I got to the second one, there wasn’t much left to eat. Besides that, I spent most of the time talking to people, which is why I was in DC in the first place.

So after I left the second reception, I was feeling like having a light dinner. I thought of Montmartre. I’ve eaten there before and really liked it. It was only 5 blocks from my hotel, and did I mention? The weather was gorgeous. A nice night for a walk.

All of the sidewalk tables were taken, but I had no trouble being seated inside. No wait. As I scanned the menu, my server came over and mentioned the evening specials. The fish sounded good, so I didn’t bother with the menu and just ordered it.

It was black sea bass. It was delicately sautéed, lusciously moist and tender. It was served on a bed of cauliflower and spring vegetables. There also were capers and pignolis. The vegetables were drizzled with a good olive oil.

That’s it. That’s all I was hungry for. It was delicious, and I had a satisfying stroll back to the hotel. What a great way to end my trip to DC!

No comments:

My Birthday Dinner No. 4 - Terzo Minneapolis

 My extended birthday celebrations came to a glorious end in mid-December, nearly a month after my actual birth date. (That was Thanksgiving...