06 February 2011

Variation on biscotti

Yesterday I tweeted that I was going to make a pistachio, raspberry, and white chocolate biscotti for the Super Bowl gathering that we were invited to. Then I found another biscotti recipe that sounded better – white chocolate and dried cranberries. But it didn’t have any pistachios. And the white chocolate was for coating the biscotti rather than an ingredient in them.

So I improvised. I combined the two recipes.

When I was responsible for compiling the recipe column for the Midland Cooperator (see previous post), I learned that if you change three ingredients in a recipe, you have a new recipe. If that’s true, then I’ve got naming rights on this one. So here is Krik’s Picks Pistachio, Dried Cranberry & White Chocolate Biscotti.Biscotti2 (1024x768)

  • 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
  • 3/4 cup raw, unsalted pistachios

    Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl; whisk to blend. Using electric mixer, beat sugar, butter, eggs and almond extract in large bowl until well blended. Mix in flour mixture, then dried cranberries, white chocolate chips, and pistachios. Divide dough in half. Using floured hands, shape each piece into a log approximately 1 inch high, 1 1/2 inches wide and 12 inches long. Transfer both logs to prepared baking sheet, spacing evenly.

    Bake logs until golden brown (logs will spread), about 35 minutes. Cool completely on sheet on rack. Maintain oven temperature. Transfer logs to work surface. Using serrated knife, cut logs on diagonal into 1/2-inch-wide slices. Arrange slices, cut side down, on same sheet. (As you can see from the photo, I stand the slices up on a baking tile instead.) Bake 10 minutes; turn biscotti over. Bake until just beginning to color, about 5 minutes. Transfer biscotti to rack.

  • No comments:

    My Birthday Dinner No. 4 - Terzo Minneapolis

     My extended birthday celebrations came to a glorious end in mid-December, nearly a month after my actual birth date. (That was Thanksgiving...