27 November 2014

Is Thanksgiving the ultimate Throwback Thursday topic?

I liked Frank Bruni’s Thanksgiving column: When Italians Meet Turkey. It’s about great family traditions and overwhelming feasts. It certainly called to mind some of my own fondly remembered Thanksgiving dinners.

For Throwback Thursday, I’d like to offer a reminiscence of Thanksgiving 2011. While it pales in comparison to Bruni’s 40-person extravaganza, at 27 people it was the biggest one my wife and I have ever hosted. It also was my 60th birthday. My blog post about the meal featured a recipe for squash lasagna. The post includes a photo of the entire buffet, which included:

This year, we’re hosting again. We only have 11 people, and the menu isn’t nearly as extensive.

  • Turkey (roasted on the Weber, of course)
  • Cranberry Orange Relish (it’s a winner!)
  • Sicilian-style potato gratin
  • An unspecified stuffing from my daughter and her husband
  • Gravy
  • Sourdough rye bread (from my sister)
  • An unspecified vegetable (also from my sister)
  • A dessert from my daughter
  • Apple crisp (from me)

It should be fun.

No comments:

My Birthday Dinner No. 4 - Terzo Minneapolis

 My extended birthday celebrations came to a glorious end in mid-December, nearly a month after my actual birth date. (That was Thanksgiving...